2014-02-28 22:25:35 - Health, Home Ideas and Style Trends Will be Focus of Show Slated for March 14-16
West Michigan Women’s Expo returns to Grand Rapids for its 16th year focusing on health, home ideas, style trends – and giving women something to feel good about.
Slated this year for March 14-16, the Expo features products, services and seminars that will provide a weekend of education, entertainment and enjoyment downtown at the DeVos Place. The Caribbean-themed three-day event will feature more than 375 women-owned and women-focused businesses.
Women will have the chance to hear national speakers, attend seminars and DIY presentations, connect face-to-face with physicians and other healthcare professionals, sample gourmet food and wine, get a massage or new hairstyle, explore vacation destinations and shop to their hearts’ content.
This year’s lineup of exhibits, speakers and events include:
Your Seatbelt! Tips from fashion and beauty expert Andy Paige. Paige is a charming and sassy “go-to” gal when it comes to “thrifty-chic” fashion fixes and budget beauty help. She will take the stage with a number of beauty solutions and to promote her new GirlyGoGarter®, a patented hands-free purse worn neatly and discretely as a garter.
• Soaring Eagle Casino Fun. Experience gaming entertainment at its best with Michigan’s leading gaming and entertainment destination. Expo sponsor Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort will have door prizes and exclusive giveaways for attendees.
• Something Pinteresting is Going On returns to Expo with Shelly Andrade and the Shizzle Design Sisters. The Sisters will present demonstrations, painting classes and workshops on-site during the Expo as well as sell their quality hand-painted vintage and antique furniture and home décor. Andrade is nationally known for her painting demos and expertise.
• Nutrition expert Collette Heimowitz. The best-selling author of “The New Atkins Made Easy” will present “The Science Behind Atkins and Why It Works” on the main stage followed by a meet-and-greet with Expo attendees. Heimowitz will sign copies of her book, which are available for sale, after her stage presentations.
• Merri Davis, owner of Hoop Happy Hoop Healthy LLC, will demonstrate Hoop Fit clinics throughout Expo. Attendees will learn the basics of hooping as a way to strengthen one’s core, add definition to arms and tighten legs – while having a fun cardio workout. Davis turned her hobby into a company, offering Make ’n Tape parties that allow women to design their own custom hoops and training instructors to work as independent hoop contractors.
• Votre Vue Beauty Bar. Active beauty fun in a vintage Airstream trailer in the midst of Expo.
• Meijer, Inc. returning with its popular Healthy Living Area and Cooking Stage. Meijer dietitians Sherri Steinbach, Tina Miller and Melissa Hehmann and other speakers will share cooking tips, recipes for easy meals and other ideas and solutions for healthy family life.
• Miss Michigan Haley Williams will meet and greet guests of the Expo. Her visit is sponsored by Dr Pepper.
• A Caribbean vacation giveaway valued at $2,000 from Lake Michigan Credit Union.
• What Matters Most feature area will present a sentimental setting with visuals designed by classical portrait artist Sharon Lange.
“We have something for every woman this year at the West Michigan Women’s Expo,” said Denise Kolesar, President of Kohler Expos. “Whether you are looking for inspiration, relaxation or to get help managing life’s details, you will come away from the Expo feeling refreshed, recharged and inspired.
“Many of our longtime favorites are back for this 16th Expo, while we also have many new exhibitors who will showcase the latest styles, innovative new products and innovative solutions.”
Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort returns again as the main sponsor of the 2014 West Michigan Women’s Expo.
The Expo is slated to run from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, March 14 and 15, and from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, March 16. Advance tickets are $7 each and are available at all area Meijer stores. Admission at the door is $9 for adults and $7 for children ages 6-14. For more information, visit www.kohlerexpo.com.
As in previous years, the Expo’s Main Stage will feature live presentations on a variety of topics throughout the weekend while the Cooking Stage will focus on families and healthy eating. Local and regional experts will present engaging and entertaining presentations and demonstrations on a variety of subjects including home décor, Pinterest ideas, easy and family-friendly recipes, healthy living and more.
Other highlights of this year’s expo include:
• On-site day spa services, allowing women to try a new hair style, relax with a massage, get a wax and sample other beauty treatments for a fun day of pampering
• A wide range of traditional and natural women's health and wellness services such as chiropractic evaluations, spinal analyses, dermatology, orthodontics, dental, hearing and eye care and nerve scans
• Beauty services and products including cosmetic surgery, body contouring, body wraps, Botox, varicose vein management and skin solutions, teeth whitening, nail art, perfume, lotion and shea butter
• Vacation destinations, including Soaring Eagle, Double JJ Resort, Petoskey, Bavarian Inn and other Pure Michigan options from convention-visitor bureaus around the state
• Exercise and fitness offerings including physical therapy, fitness clubs, personal fitness training, exercise machines, medical weight loss and nutritional supplements
• Hewlett Packard will showcase its Photo Creations, which are available at area Meijer stories
• Educational resources and advisors for finances, retirement, insurance, loans, mortgages, investments and tax planning
• Legal services specializing in family law, domestic and veterans’ affairs, estates and tax planning
• Home improvement and maintenance services for windows, siding, roofing, doors, gutters, insulation, hot tubs and spas, concrete resurfacing, basements, plumbing and floors
• Home accents and accessories including candles, pain-free pillows, upholstery and monogrammed items
• Clothing and related services such as undergarments, bra fittings and post-mastectomy apparel
• Accessories including jewelry, scarves, bags, hats, sunglasses, wigs, hair extensions and hair accessories
• Full-service vehicle repairs
• Art opportunities, including Watercolor by Pamela and Wine and Canvas GR with on-site painting
• Home-based businesses including Pure Romance, Thirty-One Gifts and Jockey Person-to-Person
• Food including gourmet treats like wine, cookies, chocolate, beef jerky, coffee, chai tea and hot chocolate
“Women’s Expo is the equivalent of spring break for women – it’s an opportunity to enjoy a fun-filled weekend with friends, focusing on feeling good and living well,” said Kolesar. “For many women in West Michigan, this is a destination weekend that allows them to connect with friends and family – while pampering themselves.”
Parking is available for a minimal charge conveniently located beneath DeVos Place off its Michigan Street entrance. Additionally, the DASH bus will offer transportation to the DeVos Place all three days; more details on www.kohlerexpo.com. A coat check will be available each day during the event to benefit Safe Haven Ministries, which will be collecting old cell phones to benefit its Call for Help program, and Women’s Resource Center.
Attendees can also sign up for a number of giveaways at the door and throughout the Expo, including a Caribbean vacation valued at $2,000 donated by Lake Michigan Credit Union. For more information, including a schedule of events and additional information about exhibitors and parking, go to www.kohlerexpo.com or visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/WestMichiganWomensExpo
About West Michigan Women’s Expo
Celebrating its 16th year, West Michigan Women’s Expo offers a balance of education, entertainment and enjoyment in an event tailored for the lives of busy women. More than 375 women-owned and women-focused businesses will display a wide range of products and services targeted specifically toward women. The Expo also features demonstrations and presentations on topics including healthcare and wellness, finances, business opportunities, beauty, fashion, education, travel, fitness and home remodeling. The title sponsor for this year’s Expo is Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort. Additional information is available at www.kohlerexpo.com.