2014-03-05 21:08:28 - Trinity has a 20+ million ton pyrophyllite deposit in Newfoundland Canada; mining, milling and shipping their pyrophyllite worldwide which is used as an alternative to talc and kaolin in manufacturing of manufacture plastic film, thermoplastic polyolefin, paint, coating, rubber, etc.
Newfoundland, Canada, March 5, 2014 – Trinity Resources proudly introduces a new antiblock additive to the plastic film industry. Altiblock™ is Trinity’s antiblock product produced from the company’s pyrophyllite deposit in Newfoundland, Canada.
“Talc, nepheline syenite and DE have been the incumbent high performance antiblock minerals in plastic films for a long time. The morphology of our Altiblock™ combines the best attributes of talc, nepheline syenite and DE into one product. By focusing on our logistics and manufacturing costs we are able balance the cost to performance equation for film processors throughout the NAFTA region,” said John Hurley, President and CEO of Trinity Resources.
Plastic film encompasses a wide range of applications including plastic bags, food packaging, shrink wrap, horticultural
films, and even video film tape. What prevents two layers of plastic film from sticking together (for example in a garbage bag) is the antiblocking mineral which is added during the manufacturing process. Trinity’s Altiblock™ is a new alternative additive for plastic film manufacturers.
Pyrophyllite is a hydrous aluminum silicate mineral and is the basis for Trinity’s AltiblockTM products. It offers a natural blend of talc-like platy particles and irregular, blocky particle shapes to provide optimal blocking, clarity, film strength, barrier resistance and improved thermal efficiency of the film.
Trinity’s Altiblock™ products offer:
• Very low iron content (Fe2O3) <0.2% - a higher iron content can accelerate degradation of the organic components or the film resin. Altiblock™ antiblocking additives are produced from a consistent, naturally low iron containing ore; and therefore reduce organic degradation.
• Lower hardness compared to DE, Nepheline Syenite (NS) - Altiblock’s mohs hardness is comparable to talc and much lower than DE and Nepheline Syenite. A higher hardness can accelerate machine wear for processors.
• A refractive index comparable to the best antiblock products - refractive index differences between inorganic particles and the surrounding polyolefin determine the additives impact on clarity or haze. Altiblock™ has a refractive index close to nelpheline syenite – the highest clarity in the market. Altiblock™ outperforms Talc and diatomaceous earth on clarity.
• Specific gravity can impact film yield for the film producer - as denser materials are added to a nominal 0.920 gm/cc polyolefin, apparent throughput is increased (kg/hr) meaning that if gauge is held constant, a given area of film will weigh more.
• Low Moisture Content - The moisture content of Trinity’s Altiblock™ products are typically less than 0.2% which means reduced gassing and venting issue and improved shelf life.
Altiblock™ is available in four distinct sizes including 2, 4, 6 and 9 micron sizes with distinct morphology and particle size distribution curves. For a talc replacement Altiblock™ D400 can greatly improve block force and clarity and for a DE replacement Altiblock™ D900 can improve clarity while being equivalent in block force.
About Trinity Resources Ltd.
Trinity Resources is a private company, owning and operating a world-class pyrophyllite deposit in Newfoundland, Canada. The company produces some of the brightest aluminum silicate products in the world. Trinity’s pyrophyllite products (Altibright™, Altiplus™, Altiblock™ and Altifil™) are versatile and offer improved performance for a wide range of products from industries such as plastics (TPO’s & plastic films), paint, coatings, paper, rubber, ceramics, fiberglass, personal care, agriculture, refractory and foundry. With the same physical characteristics as talc and kaolin, Trinity’s products are a functional mineral filler offering high brightness and macro crystalline, platy structure. The company is currently mining, milling and shipping their pyrophyllite products to markets world-wide. Trinity is a growth oriented company aggressively striving to become a mid-tier producer. For a list of our Canadian and European distributors visit our website.
For Media Inquiries, please contact:
Miranda McCarthy, Marketing & Communications Manager
Trinity Resources Ltd.
For Sales Inquires, please contact:
Robert Hunt, Sales Director
Trinity Resources Ltd.