2012-10-15 12:10:04 -
Toyota City, Japan, Oct 15, 2012 - (JCN Newswire) - Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) will host a corporate display booth at the 19th ITS(1) World Congress in Vienna, Austria from October 22 through October 26, 2012.
The ITS World Congress is the world's largest ITS-related international conference. Held annually in Europe, the Asia-Pacific and the Americas on a rotating basis, the congress invites ITS-related groups (government, research bodies and commercial enterprises) from a wide range of countries and regions to use information sessions (including presentations of technical papers), exhibitions and technical tours to showcase their latest ITS research findings and products.
TMC has participated in the World Congress since it began. This year, TMC will present information on
three high-priority ITS projects: vehicle-infrastructure cooperative systems, energy management and urban transport systems.
With regard to vehicle-infrastructure cooperative systems, TMC will present information on applications that use wireless communications enabled by systems installed in roadside infrastructure and in other vehicles to notify drivers about cars traveling in the driver's blind spot and other unseen hazards.
TMC will also present information on energy management through the exhibition of a Prius Plug-in Hybrid, a next-generation environment-friendly vehicle that has been available in Europe since August of this year, along with the results of the low-carbon society demonstration project being conducting in Toyota City, Aichi Prefecture, as well as future initiatives.
In addition, TMC will for the first time at the World Congress exhibit concepts and specific software applications in the area of urban transport systems.
In October of next year, the 20th ITS World Congress(2) will be held in Tokyo, Japan. TMC plans to use exhibits, sessions and test rides to introduce the vision of a future society where people can travel in cars safely and securely and where homes, vehicles and information systems are linked. TMC seeks to create such a society based on the concept of being "rewarded with a smile by exceeding your expectations", a key idea from the Toyota Global Vision.
Outline of TMC Participation in 19th ITS World Congress (planned)
1. Vehicle - infrastructure cooperative systems
- Next-generation services currently in trials (Support to prevent collisions during right turns, Support to ensure that pedestrians are noticed during right turns, Support for detecting surrounding vehicles, etc.)
- ITS Spot services that have already been launched in Japan such as providing information on obstacles ahead, information to support merging into lanes and the Driving Safety Support System (DSSS) with red light warning and other features.
2. Energy management
- Low-carbon society made possible by smart communities that link vehicles, society, and information systems (with a focus on examples from the Toyota City demonstration project)
- The Prius Plug-in Hybrid - launched in Europe in August of this year - with charging stand (mock-up), a display of its excellent environmental performance as a next-generation eco-car; and vehicle-to-home (V2H) system that supplies electric power from vehicles to homes during power outages at times of emergency
3. Urban transport systems
- Concepts of urban transport systems envisioned by TMC
- Traffic Data Management System (TDMS) and One Mile Mobility System*
*The provision of a car sharing service that, through leaving vehicles at stations and other locations, makes it possible to use ultra-compact EVs for movement of distances of a few kilometers (the "last one mile") between the closest public transportation station and one's final destination.
4. Information sessions
Total of nine sessions regarding vehicle-infrastructure cooperative systems and energy management consisting of:
- Conducted by high-level industry executives and public officals
- Conducted by project leader-level personnel
- Conducted by expert-level personnel
The 19th ITS World Congress on Toyota's Official Website, under Intelligent Transport Systems World Congress: www.toyota-global.com/innovation/intelligent_transport_systems/
(1) Organized and operated by the Austrian Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology for the World Congress on ITS; "ITS" stands for "intelligent transportation systems" and refers to systems that use cutting-edge information and communications technologies to link people, roads, and vehicles, with the aim of enhanced safety and comfort and of improving traffic flow.
(2) Opening ceremony to be held October 14, 2013 at the Tokyo International Forum. Information sessions, exhibitions, and the closing ceremony will be conducted between October 15 to 18, 2013 at the Tokyo Big Sight. Hosted by the Japan Organizing Committee of ITS World Congress Tokyo 2013: www.itsworldcongress.jp/.
Supported by people around the world, Toyota Motor Corporation (TSE: 7203; NYSE: TM), has endeavored since its establishment in 1937 to serve society by creating better products. As of the end of March 2012, Toyota conducts its business worldwide with 50 overseas manufacturing companies in 27 countries and regions. Toyota's vehicles are sold in more than 160 countries and regions. For more information, please visit www.toyota-global.com.
Contact:Toyota Motor Corporation Corporate Communications Department Public Affairs Division Tel: +81-3-3817-9150
Copyright 2012 JCN Newswire. All rights reserved. www.japancorp.net