2013-03-17 11:31:39 - • Volkswagen unveils the new Golf GTI at the Geneva International Motor Show
• Superior dynamic performance and progressive steering paired with the prestige and heritage of the GTI product brand
• Founder of the sporty A-hatchback segment, Golf GTI offers 18 per cent improvement in fuel economy compared to previous model
UAE, 5th March 2013: Volkswagen has revealed the next generation of superior dynamic performance at the opening day of the Geneva International Motor Show, with the global unveiling of the new Golf GTI.
The latest version of the legendary compact sports car, which has been revered by motoring enthusiasts for over three decades, is powered by a turbocharged petrol, direct-injection engine (TSI) with 162 kW / 220 PS coming as standard and accelerates to 100 km/h in 6.5 seconds, reaching a top speed of 246 km/h.
As a classic with cult status, the Golf GTI systematically combines sportiness and driving fun, with the strengths of the Golf, into a unique concept of compact sport hatchback. The 6-speed DSG automatic gearbox
helps to reach DIN fuel consumption value of 6.0L/100 km; meaning that the new Golf GTI offers an 18 per cent improvement in fuel economy compared to the previous model.
Thomas Milz, Managing Director, Volkswagen Middle East, said: “The new Golf GTI is sportier than ever and one of the most eagerly anticipated new models for 2013. This model represents pure dynamics with all of the everyday utility qualities of the Golf, the seventh generation of which was launched in the Middle East in January. We are very excited to bring this even more dynamic Volkswagen icon to our region.
“The GTI has long been a favourite amongst automotive aficionados across the Middle East and last year accounted for 60% of all Golf model sales in the AGCC. The new GTI model is due to arrive in the Middle East during Q3 of this year and together with the new Golf, we are looking forward to introducing these spectacular new offerings to our customers
The sporty character of the Golf GTI is reflected in its traditional red-painted brake callipers, two chrome tailpipes and a sport suspension. The exterior of the compact sports car also scores with 17-inch “Brooklyn” GTI wheels and 225/45 size tyres, special side sills, a diffuser and smoked LED rear lights (including LED license plate illumination).
Visual highlights in the interior are top sport seats in tartan pattern Clark, a black roofliner and red ambience lighting. The cars also offers sporty GTI features such as a sport steering wheel, GTI gear shift grip and instrument cluster, special trim strips and stainless steel pedals and foot support.
• Debut of first generation Golf GTI: 1976.
• Engine: Four-cylinder TSI (turbocharged direct petrol injection); front transverse engine; displacement 1,984 cc; bore/stroke 82.5/92.8 mm; compression ratio 9.8:1.
• Power: 162 kW / 220 PS from 4,500 to 6,200 rpm.
• Torque: 350 Nm from 1,500 to 4,400 rpm.
• Gearboxes / drive type; automatic 6-speed DSG; front-wheel drive.
• Brakes: Disc brakes front and rear, front 312 x 25 mm, ventilated; rear 300 x 12 mm.
• Fuel consumption / CO2 emissions (manual): 6.0 l/100 km; 139 g/km CO2. Driving performance (manual): 0-100 km/h in 6.5 s; V/max 246 km/h.
• Unladen weight: 1,351 kg (base version including driver [68 kg], luggage [7 kg] and 90 % filled fuel tank; calculated as per RL 92/21/EEC.