2013-01-31 02:08:36 -
EINDHOVEN, THE NETHERLANDS -- (Marketwire) -- 01/30/13 -- NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI)
Q4 2012 Year 2012
Revenue $1,116 million $4,358 million
GAAP Gross margin 43.9% 45.6%
GAAP Operating margin 3.0% 9.5%
GAAP Diluted earnings per share ($0.47) ($0.46)
Non-GAAP Gross margin 46.1% 45.8%
Non-GAAP Operating margin 18.7% 18.0%
Non-GAAP Earnings per share $0.50 $1.70
- Trailing twelve month adjusted EBITDA $1,042 million
- Net debt reduced $181 million year-on-year to $2,875 million
- Product revenue growth of 24 percent year-on-year, down 4 percent sequentially
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) today reported financial results for the fourth quarter and the full-year of 2012, ended December 31, 2012, and provided guidance for the first quarter 2013.
"Our results for the fourth quarter of 2012 came in at the higher end of our original guidance, as NXP delivered Product revenue of $1,066 million, a four percent sequential decline, and a twenty-four percent increase from the comparable year ago period. Total NXP revenue in the fourth quarter was $1,116 million, approximately a five percent sequential decline, and a twenty percent increase from the comparable year ago period," said Richard Clemmer, NXP Chief Executive Officer.
"Looking at the full-year results, NXP delivered Product revenue of $4,114 million, better than a seven percent year-on-year growth, as key design opportunities we outlined at the beginning of the year came to fruition. Specifically, full-year revenue in our core HPMS segment increased thirteen percent year-on-year due to strong growth in our Identification and Portable & Computing end markets. However, as a result of challenging market conditions, NXP experienced slower than anticipated growth in other areas of our HPMS segment, and a 10 percent year-on-year decline in our Standard product segment. Taken together, total NXP revenue increased four percent year-on-year to $4,358 million.
"As our recent actions demonstrate, we remain committed to improving our cost and expense structure, which should result in improved earnings growth and cash flow generation. Our strategy continues to be focused on providing unique and differentiated product solutions to enable our customer's success, which over the longer-term should allow NXP to outpace the cyclical growth of the overall semiconductor market," said Clemmer.
Fourth Quarter 2012 Results ($ millions, except EPS, unaudited)
Q4 2012 Q3 2012 Q4 2011 Q - Q Y - Y
-------- -------- -------- -------- --------
Product Revenue $ 1,066 $ 1,114 $ 857 -4% 24%
Mfg. & Other Revenue $ 50 $ 56 $ 74 -11% -32%
-------- -------- --------
Total Revenue $ 1,116 $ 1,170 $ 931 -5% 20%
GAAP Gross Profit $ 490 $ 536 $ 389 -9% 26%
Gross Profit Adjustments
(1) $ (24) $ (6) $ (34)
Non-GAAP Gross Profit $ 514 $ 542 $ 423 -5% 22%
GAAP Gross Margin 43.9% 45.8% 41.8%
Non-GAAP Gross Margin 46.1% 46.3% 45.4%
GAAP Operating Income $ 33 $ 168 $ 7 -80% 371%
Adjustments (1) $ (176) $ (64) $ (141)
Non-GAAP Operating Income $ 209 $ 232 $ 148 -10% 41%
GAAP Operating Margin 3.0% 14.4% 0.8%
Non-GAAP Operating Margin 18.7% 19.8% 15.9%
GAAP Net Income / (Loss) $ (116) $ 115 $ (182) NM NM
Net Income Adjustments
(1) $ (242) $ (27) $ (241)
Non-GAAP Net Income /
(Loss) $ 126 $ 142 $ 59 -11% 114%
GAAP EPS $ (0.47) $ 0.45 $ (0.73) NM NM
EPS Adjustments (1) $ (0.97) $ (0.11) $ (0.97)
Non-GAAP EPS $ 0.50 $ 0.56 $ 0.24 -11% 108%
2012 2011 Y - Y
-------- -------- --------
Product Revenue $ 4,114 $ 3,831 7%
Mfg. & Other Revenue $ 244 $ 363 -33%
Total Revenue $ 4,358 $ 4,194 4%
GAAP Gross Profit $ 1,988 $ 1,906 4%
Gross Profit Adjustments
(1) $ (6) $ (82)
Non-GAAP Gross Profit $ 1,994 $ 1,988 0%
GAAP Gross Margin 45.6% 45.4%
Non-GAAP Gross Margin 45.8% 47.4%
GAAP Operating Income $ 412 $ 357 15%
Adjustments (1) $ (374) $ (453)
Non-GAAP Operating Income $ 786 $ 810 -3%
GAAP Operating Margin 9.5% 8.5%
Non-GAAP Operating Margin 18.0% 19.3%
GAAP Net Income / (Loss) $ (115) $ 390 NM
Net Income Adjustments
(1) $ (544) $ (42)
Non-GAAP Net Income /
(Loss) $ 429 $ 432 -1%
GAAP EPS $ (0.46) $ 1.57 NM
EPS Adjustments (1) $ (2.16) $ (0.14)
Non-GAAP EPS $ 1.70 $ 1.71 -1%
(1) Please see "Discussion of GAAP to non-GAAP Reconciliation" on page 3 of this release.
Supplemental Information ($ millions, unaudited)
Product Revenue is the combination of revenue from the High Performance Mixed Signal (HPMS) and Standard Products (STDP) segments.
Additional Information for the Fourth Quarter of 2012:
Guidance for the First Quarter 2013: ($ millions, except share count and EPS) (1)
- Total gross debt at the end of the fourth quarter 2012 was $3,492 million, a reduction of $90 million from the $3,582 million in the prior quarter. Cash balance at the end of the fourth quarter of 2012 was $617 million, resulting in a net-debt position of $2,875 million.
- On December 11, 2012, NXP tendered and retired $500 million of its U.S.-dollar denominated 9 3/4 Senior Secured notes. In a subsequent transaction NXP entered into a new $500 million senior secured term loan facility ("Term Loan C") due January 2020, which carries a coupon of LIBOR + 350bps, and a LIBOR floor of 125bps. The proceeds of the new term loan was drawn under the terms and conditions of the existing senior secured loan facility.
- Net cash interest paid in the fourth quarter of 2012 was $55 million.
- SSMC, NXP's consolidated joint-venture wafer fab with TSMC, reported fourth quarter 2012 operating income of $46 million, EBITDA of $58 million and a closing cash balance of $288 million.
- Utilization in NXP wafer fabs averaged 85 percent in the fourth quarter 2012 compared to 71 percent in the year ago period and 91 percent in the prior quarter.
- During the fourth quarter of 2012 NXP booked a $98 million charge associated with a restructuring initiative designed to improve operational efficiency and to competitively position the company for sustainable growth. The components of the restructuring initiative were: $55 million in SG&A to assist in driving SG&A to 12 percent of revenue; $23 million in R&D to refocus resources; and $20 million in cost of goods sold, mainly related to the consolidation of MOS technologies from our German fabrication facility to the company's 8-inch Dutch facility.
Note (1): NXP has based the guidance included in this release on judgments and estimates that management believes are reasonable given its assessment of historical trends and other information reasonably available as of the date of this release. The guidance included in this release consists of predictions only, and is subject to a wide range of known and unknown risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond NXP's control. The guidance included in this release should not be regarded as representations by NXP that the estimated results will be achieved. Actual results may vary materially from the guidance we provide today. In relation to the use of non-GAAP financial information see the note regarding "Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information" elsewhere in this release. For the factors, risks and uncertainties to which judgments, estimates and forward-looking statements generally are subject see the note regarding "Forward-looking Statements." We undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, including the guidance set forth herein, to reflect future events or circumstances. Considering the uncertain magnitude and variability of the foreign exchange consequences upon "PPA effects", "restructuring costs", "other incidental items" and any interest expense or taxes in future periods, management believes that GAAP financial measures are not available for NXP on a forward looking basis.
Discussion of GAAP to non-GAAP Reconciliations
In addition to providing financial information on a basis consistent with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles ("GAAP"), NXP also provides the following selected financial measures on a non-GAAP basis: (i) "non-GAAP gross profit," (ii) "non-GAAP gross margin," (iii) "non-GAAP Research and development," (iv) "non-GAAP Selling, general and administrative," (v) non-GAAP Other income," (vi) "non-GAAP operating income (loss)," (vii) "non-GAAP operating margin," (viii) "non-GAAP net income/ (loss)," (ix) "PPA effects," (x) "Restructuring costs," (xi) "Other incidental items," (xii) "non-GAAP Financial Income (expense)," (xiii) "non-GAAP Results relating to equity-accounted investees," (xiv) "non-GAAP Cash tax (expense)," (xv) "non-GAAP EPS," (xvi) "EBITDA", "adjusted EBITDA" and "trailing 12 month adjusted EBITDA" and (xvii) "net debt."
In this release, references to:
- "non-GAAP gross profit," "non-GAAP research and development", "non-GAAP Selling, general and administrative", "non-GAAP Other income", "non-GAAP operating income (loss)" and "non-GAAP net income/ (loss)" are to NXP's gross profit, research and development, selling general and administrative, operating income and net income/ (loss) calculated on a basis consistent with GAAP, net of the effects of purchase price accounting ("PPA"), restructuring costs and certain other incidental items. "PPA effects" reflect the fair value adjustments impacting acquisition accounting and other acquisition adjustments charged to the income statement applied to the formation of NXP on September 29, 2006 and all subsequent acquisitions. "Restructuring costs" consist of costs related to restructuring programs and gains and losses resulting from divestment activities and impairment charges. "Other incidental items" consist of process and product transfer costs (which refer to the costs incurred in transferring a production process and products from one manufacturing site to another) and certain charges related to acquisitions and divestitures. "Other adjustments" include or exclude certain items that management believes provides insight into our core operating results, our ability to generate cash and underlying business trends affecting our performance.
- "non-GAAP gross margin" and "non-GAAP operating margin" are to our non-GAAP gross profit or our non-GAAP operating income as a percentage of our sales, respectively;
- "non-GAAP Financial Income (expense)" is the interest income or expense net of impacts due foreign exchange changes on our Euro-denominated debt, gains or losses due to the extinguishment of long-term debt and less other financial expenses deemed to be one-time in nature;
- "non-GAAP Cash tax (expense)" is the difference between our GAAP tax provision and the cash taxes paid during the period;
- "non-GAAP EPS" attributable to stockholders are to non-GAAP net income or loss attributable to NXP's stockholders, divided by the weighted average number of common shares outstanding during the period, adjusted for treasury shares held;
- "EBITDA" are to NXP's earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization. "EBITDA" excludes certain tax payments that may represent a reduction in cash available to us, does not reflect any cash capital expenditure requirements for the assets being depreciated and amortized that may have to be replaced in the future, does not reflect changes in, or cash requirements for, our working capital needs and does not reflect the significant financial expense, or the cash requirements necessary to service interest payments, on our debts;
- "adjusted EBITDA" are to EBITDA after adjustments for "restructuring costs," "other incidental items" and results related to equity accounted investees.
- "trailing 12 month adjusted EBITDA" are to adjusted EBITDA for the last 12 months from the date of this release; and
- "net debt" is to the sum total of long and short term debt less total cash and cash equivalents, as reflected on the balance sheet.
Reconciliations of these non-GAAP measures to the most comparable measures calculated in accordance with GAAP are provided in the financial statements portion of this release in a schedule entitled "Financial Reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP Results (unaudited)."
NXP provides non-GAAP measures because management believes that they are helpful to understand the underlying operating and profit structure of NXP's operations, to provide additional insight as to how management assesses the performance and allocation of resources among its various segments and because the financial community uses them in its analysis of NXP's operating and/or financial performance, historical results and projections of NXP's future operating results. NXP presents "non-GAAP gross profit," "non-GAAP research and development", "non-GAAP Selling, general and administrative", "non-GAAP Other income," "non-GAAP operating income," "non-GAAP net income/ (loss)," "non-GAAP gross margin," "non-GAAP operating margin" and "non-GAAP EPS" because these financials measures are net of "PPA effects," "restructuring costs", "other incidental items," and "other adjustments" which have affected the comparability of NXP's results over the years. NXP presents "EBITDA," "adjusted EBITDA" and "trailing 12 month adjusted EBITDA" because these financials measures enhance an investor's understanding of NXP's financial performance.
Non-GAAP measures should not be considered a substitute for any information derived or calculated in accordance with GAAP, are not intended to be measures of financial performance or condition, liquidity, profitability or operating cash flows in accordance with GAAP, and should not be considered as alternatives to net income (loss), operating income or any other performance measures determined in accordance with GAAP. These non-GAAP measures can vary from other participants in the semiconductor industry. They have limitations as analytical tools and should not be considered in isolation for analysis of NXP's financial results as reported under GAAP.
Conference Call and Webcast Information
NXP will host a conference call on January 31, 2013 at 8:00 a.m. U.S. Eastern Standard Time (2:00 p.m. Central European Time) to discuss its fourth quarter 2012 results and provide an outlook for the first quarter of 2013.
Interested parties may join the conference call by dialing 1 - 800 - 706 - 7749 (within the U.S.) or 1 - 617 - 614 - 3474 (outside the U.S.). The participant pass-code is 78451487. To listen to a webcast of the event, please visit the Investor Relations section of the NXP website at www.nxp.com/investor : ctt.marketwire.com/?release=980156&id=2551015&type=1& ..
. The webcast will be recorded and available for replay shortly after the call concludes.
About NXP Semiconductors
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) provides High Performance Mixed Signal and Standard Product solutions that leverage its leading RF, Analog, Power Management, Interface, Security and Digital Processing expertise. These innovations are used in a wide range of automotive, identification, wireless infrastructure, lighting, industrial, mobile, consumer and computing applications. A global semiconductor company with operations in more than 25 countries, NXP posted unaudited revenue of $4.36 billion in 2012. Additional information can be found by visiting www.nxp.com : ctt.marketwire.com/?release=980156&id=2551018&type=1& ..
This document includes forward-looking statements which include statements regarding NXP's business strategy, financial condition, results of operations, and market data, as well as any other statements which are not historical facts. By their nature, forward-looking statements are subject to numerous factors, risks and uncertainties that could cause actual outcomes and results to be materially different from those projected. These factors, risks and uncertainties include the following: market demand and semiconductor industry conditions; the ability to successfully introduce new technologies and products; the end-market demand for the goods into which NPX's products are incorporated; the ability to generate sufficient cash, raise sufficient capital or refinance corporate debt at or before maturity; the ability to meet the combination of corporate debt service, research and development and capital investment requirements; the ability to accurately estimate demand and match manufacturing production capacity accordingly or obtain supplies from third-party producers; the access to production capacity from third-party outsourcing partners; any events that might affect third-party business partners or NXP's relationship with them; the ability to secure adequate and timely supply of equipment and materials from suppliers; the ability to avoid operational problems and product defects and, if such issues were to arise, to correct them quickly; the ability to form strategic partnerships and joint ventures and to successfully cooperate with alliance partners; the ability to win competitive bid selection processes to develop products for use in customers' equipment and products; the ability to successfully establish a brand identity; the ability to successfully hire and retain key management and senior product architects; and, the ability to maintain good relationships with our suppliers. In addition, this document contains information concerning the semiconductor industry and NXP's business segments generally, which is forward-looking in nature and is based on a variety of assumptions regarding the ways in which the semiconductor industry, NXP's market segments and product areas may develop. NXP has based these assumptions on information currently available, if any one or more of these assumptions turn out to be incorrect, actual market results may differ from those predicted. While NXP does not know what impact any such differences may have on its business, if there are such differences, its future results of operations and its financial condition could be materially adversely affected. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak to results only as of the date the statements were made. Except for any ongoing obligation to disclose material information as required by the United States federal securities laws, NXP does not have any intention or obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements after we distribute this document, whether to reflect any future events or circumstances or otherwise. For a discussion of potential risks and uncertainties, please refer to the risk factors listed in our SEC filings. Copies of our SEC filings are available on our Investor Relations website, www.nxp.com/investor : ctt.marketwire.com/?release=980156&id=2551021&type=1& ..
or from the SEC website, www.sec.gov : ctt.marketwire.com/?release=980156&id=2551024&type=1& ..