2013-02-05 14:42:34 - Alin Merches, CEO at mobile app development agency Mobiversal, shares 5 most useful books for project management actually used inside his agency.
Merches released a post last week titled, "What books do we recommend for project managers or software managers? Small reviews of some of the books I recently read". blog.mobiversal.com/books-for-project-managers-or-software-manag ..
"Last weeks I have been reading some books for the purpose of knowing what to recommend to our team leaders. I bought several pieces from classical to new ones. I want to say a few words about each of them and what I have learned from them.
1) “The Mythical Man-Month” by Brooks
- “Good cooking takes time. If you are made to wait, it is to serve you better, and to please you” (Menu of Restaurant Antoine).
- Schedule a software task: ⅓ planning, ⅙ coding, ¼ component test and early system
test and ¼ system test, all components in hand.
- Brook’s Law: “Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later”
2) “Scrum: a Breathtakingly Brief and Agile Introduction”
- This a small book that describes Scrum/Agile methodology and how should you define teams and work in Agile.
3) “Peopleware: Productive projects and teams” by DeMarco and Lister
- The major problems of our work are not so much technological as sociological in nature.
- The Hawthorne Effect. Loosely stated, it says that people perform better when they’re trying something new.
4) “IT Project MAnagement – On track from Start to Finish”
- This was a very comprehensive book for project management suited especially for large organisations.
5) “Managing the unmanageable” by Mantle and Lichty
- In the middle of the book you will find an entire collection of quotes collected from many IT managers and other books, that was very helpful. One of the quotes remained in my mind and love: Development is a triangle: good, fast, cheap – pick any two" states Merches.
About Alin Merches and Mobiversal's Blog:
Alin Merches is the CEO of Mobiversal, mobile app development agency serving companies from small to large. Mobiversal has successfully built from business apps, utilities to games, some of them being featured on media outlets like BBC, CNN, NBC and FOX News.