2013-12-06 11:19:35 - More than 15,000 euro has been allocated to community groups and older adults groups across Limerick City and County as part of the annual Age and Opportunity Go For Life Grant Scheme.
Administered nationally by the Irish Sports Council and Age & Opportunity, Go for Life is aimed at encouraging older people to get involved with sport and physical activities. The money is used by groups to buy equipment, run sports events or to try new activities.
This year a total of 49 Limerick groups have received funding amounting to €12,420, while Limerick Sports Partnerships have received €2,900 to assist in the delivery of sport and physical activity programmes to local older adult groups.
LSP Coordinator, Phelim Macken said Go For Life provides older adults clubs and community groups with access funding to provide physical activity opportunities to their members He continued: “The aim is to increase physical activity opportunities for older adults
in Limerick giving them access to both equipment and facilities that are not always readily available. The LSP provide assistance in completing forms for submission and provide support when required.”
“Limerick Sports Partnerships run up to four Sports Fests every year as well as an inter-county fest which involves teams from Limerick, Clare, North Tipperary and Kerry. We also run indoor walking programmes with these groups together with introducing nordic poles and sit fit exercises,” added Mr. Macken.
The 2013 Go For Life funding recipients include:
- Moyross Resident's Forum (Happy Feet Dance Group), Murroe/Boher ICA, Limerick City ICA, Cappamore ICA, Crecora ICA and Kilmallock ICA (250 EURO)
- Patrickswell ARA, Southill Dining Club, St. Mary’s Senior Citizens Club, Our Lady, Queen of Peace - Ladies Retired (Janesboro), Adare Day Care Centre Alzheimer Society, Garryowen Day Care Centre Alzheimer Society, Our Lady Day Care Centre, Limerick County Civil Defence ARA, Fedamore ICA, Friars Gate Theatre, Glin ICA, Grange ICA, Holy Rosary ARA, Kildimo ICA, Kilfinane ARA, Kilmallock ARA, Ardagh ICA, ARRA Friends Newcastle West ARA, Mainistir na Feile ICA, Castleconnell ICA, Castlemahon ICA, Castletroy ICA, Doon ICA and Ballyhahill/Loughill Going Strong (260 EURO)
- Limerick Regional Probus Club, Limerick Strand Probus Club, Monaleen/Milford ARA, Northside Family Resource Centre/St. Munchin’s Family Resource Centre, Limerick Central ARA, Limerick City ARA, Pallasgreen ARA, Ballyagran/Castletown/Colmanswell ARA, Caherdavin and District ARA, Caherdavin ICA, Pallasgreen ICA, St. Michaels Day Care Centre, Croom Communities in Motion and Adare ARA (270 EURO)
- ARA na Féile (Abbeyfeale) A.R.A., St. Bridget’s/Patricks ARA and Dromcollogher & District Respite Care Centre Ltd. (300 EURO)
- Limerick City Sports Partnership (900 EURO)
- Co. Limerick Local Sports Partnership (2000 EURO)
Commenting on this year’s grant scheme Go for Life Manager, Mary Harkin, stated: "At Go for Life, it is important for us that older people continue to get access to the spread of games, sports and activities to stay active and healthy. All adults, no matter what age, need 30 minutes of physical activity most days a week. The Scheme ensures that, as we get older, we can keep playing sport, we can keep moving and we can stay healthy and independent."
Groups/clubs interested in taking part in Limerick Sports Partnership activities during 2014 can find out more by contacting Phelim Macken, Sports Coordinator at 087-2079172.
Dunphy Public Relations