Wirtschaft & Industrie
Cheapflights.ca Sets the Record Straight in Honour of Guinness World Records Day
Reveals Its Top 10 Record-Setting Travel Destinations
© Marketwire 2012
(PR-inside.com 14.11.2012 16:14:58)
TORONTO -- (Marketwire) -- 11/14/12 -- In honour of Guinness World Records Day taking place this Thursday, November 15th, the travel experts at Cheapflights.ca : , the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, decided to take on a challenge themselves. The team has combed through the thousands of Guinness World Records and has come up with their list of Top 10 Record-Setting Destinations : . From the sunniest place in the world to the longest ice skating trail, the largest outdoor swimming pool to the oldest restaurant and hotel, this list features must-see sites in destinations that span the globe.
Here are five record-setting destinations to make the list that are here in the Americas:
- Sunniest place - Yuma, Arizona - With the sun shining for over 90 per cent of daylight hours, Yuma is the place to go for clear skies and a Vitamin D fix. It's no surprise then that this town on the Arizona-California border is a popular destination for snowbirds. Although the Colorado River skirts Yuma, it has a desert climate, complete with low humidity and cool (or cooler) nights. The sparkling weather is a relief to residents and visitors as well as the local citrus farmers and the many military pilots who train under the area's endless blue sky.
- Largest outdoor swimming pool - San Alfonso del Mar - Algarrabo, Chile - Along the coast of Chile about an hour's drive from Santiago, the resort of San Alfonso del Mar offers oceanfront apartments to rent. Visitors can take advantage of the beach and the surfing, but most are probably drawn to the giant seaside swimming pool. Larger than 20 Olympic-size pools, this salt-water lagoon stretches for 1,000 metres along the beach. It holds 66 million gallons (250 million litres) of water, pumped in and filtered fresh from the Pacific, making it crystal clear -- but occasionally chilly. Try taking a boat out to its deepest parts 115 feet down. You should be able to see the bottom.
- Longest ice skating trail - Assiniboine Credit Union River Trail - Winnipeg, Canada - Each winter as the temperatures drop, skaters take to the frozen Assiniboine River, which turns into a long ice trail complete with warming huts, curling matches and broom ball games. Starting at The Forks in downtown Winnipeg, the trail stretches more than eight kilometres and is maintained by a biodiesel-fuelled zamboni -- that logged more than 1100 kilometres in 2009 -- to keep the ice in skating condition.
- Tallest waterslide - Aguas Quentes Country Club - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Want the feeling of a free fall without jumping out of a plane? Prepared to scream straight downhill at 50 miles per hour? Then head to Barra do Piraí in Rio de Janeiro and climb to the top of Kilimanjaro. This is not a mountain, of course, but a 160-plus-foot-high (49-plus metres) waterslide with a steep 50 degree decline. In 2009, a "speed chuting" world record of 57 miles per hour was set on Kilimanjaro. If that's not your speed, there are another 16 pools, including a wave pool, where you can take a splash.
- Highest external walk on a building - CN Tower - Toronto, Canada - Looming high above Toronto, the CN Tower is an impressive sight to look up at. And now visitors have a new option for looking down from that vista. The EdgeWalk lets you snap into a harness and take a lap around the roof of the CN Tower's restaurant. In groups of six, adventure seekers gear up and then step outside at 1,168 feet (356 metres) above the ground. Tethered to the tower, EdgeWalkers spend 20-30 minutes circumnavigating the building and taking in unmatched views and excitement. Talk about a walk on the wild side!
The five record-breaking sites to round out our list are worth a trip overseas and include: Oldest Restaurant - Botin Restaurant in Madrid, Spain; Tallest building - Burj Khalifa in Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Oldest hotel - Nisiyama Onsen Keiunkan in Yamanashi, Japan; Largest game reserve - Selous in Tanzania and Longest reef - Great Barrier Reef in Queensland, Australia. The check out these and Cheapflights.ca's complete list of Top 10 Record-Setting Destinations, visit www.cheapflights.ca/travel/top-10-record-setting-destinations : .
About momondo group
momondo group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 13 million visitors a month -- plus 6 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights ( www.cheapflights.ca : ) and momondo ( www.momondo.com : ) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across 16 core international markets but users all over the world.
Image Available: www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2152689 :
Add to Digg : Bookmark with del.icio.us : Add to Newsvine :
Mobile: +1 416-788-4573
E-mail: Email Contact :
Website: www.cheapflights.ca : docid: 12953900.nitf -->
(C) Das Copyright für sämtliche Pressemeldungen und Bilder, die mit Marketwire gekennzeichnet sind und auf PR-inside.com publiziert werden, obliegt der Agentur Marketwire. Dieser Artikel darf ohne schriftliche Genehmigung der Agentur Marketwire weder kopiert noch veröffentlicht werden. Wenn Sie Fragen zu den veröffentlichten Meldungen haben, kontaktieren Sie bitte Marketwire unter der Internetadresse (http://www.marketwire.com/).