2013-12-11 13:02:01 - The current post is a comparision of 3D CAD features and the BIM (Building Information Modeling) features and benefits.
The coming post would give you an idea about the workflow difference between CAD and BIM. After going through the post you can easily make out that to be profitable, you can’t simply replace AutoCAD with Revit (BIM). To sell your BIM services, you would require a different approach following with a different workflow and an entirely different allocation of budgets for such BIM projects.
AutoCAD is and always will be a great tool for drafting. After its inception and acceptance in the industry it swept away the drafting tables, pencils and triangles. 3D object-based CAD packages provide huge benefits over traditional 2D CAD. 3D CAD in its parametric nature i.e. if say, you draw plans, elevations, and sections in AutoCAD
and if there are any design changes, you’ll have to go to each sheet and change manually. This could get very complicated and confusing, and errors are introduced this way.
• CAD is drafting process
• CAD requires in-depth involvement of manual interference
• It helps you create construction documents
• It is a process involving different files
• It is a great tool accepted all over and is compatible to other software’s as well.
BIM is a combination of 3D CAD plus information. However, to really appreciate the true benefits of BIM, the information in 3D CAD models must be coordinated with information in master specification systems. BIM tries to address these problems through offering user an option to sketch object directly instead of 2D lines! Through this section the building is virtually constructed with material information and the cost of material built in.
• BIM has the in-built capacity to do all the relevant revisions for you.
• BIM virtually constructs architecture, before its actual construction.
• BIM through its analytical skills helps in estimating cost and time of the project during its planning stage.
• BOQ helps in quantifying the amount of material required during construction.
To get more information on BIM and AutoCAD or to outsource any of your Revit or AutoCAD requirements, reach us on firstname.lastname@example.org